Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hiking the Watsatch Mountains

Sunday, May 20, 2012


There is something about being on a hiking trail in the mountains that is completely therapeutic to me. I enjoy the solitude, the scent of the mountain air, the sound of rushing water in the streams/rivers below, and just being so close to nature. There is satisfaction when I make it to the next curve in the trail, and a sense of accomplishment when I finally make it to my final destination. 
There is a beauty in hiking that you just can't find in looking at the view from the bottom of the mountain or from the top either, for that matter.  You have to be" in the mountains"to experience the serenity of it.  It is interesting too, being in the woods and feeling such peace, because if you look closely you will see it really is chaos.  There is fallen dead trees and leaves everywhere, which if that was in my yard at home, would not be peaceful at all.  I would have to clean it up. But here in the mountains, I don't see the chaos, I just enjoy being one with nature.   


Recently, my daughter Michelle and her husband Brad invited our family to go up Millcreek Canyon to enjoy a picnic by the stream with them.  My husband, Richard, wasn't able to join us as he had a prior appointment, so I rode up the canyon with Michelle, Brad and their dog Sadie.  We arrived at their desired campsite about 3:00 p.m.  I immediately wanted to go on a hike, but  Michelle and Brad wanted to relax around the camp area with Sadie.

 I decided to take the same trail that Michelle and Brad had hiked a few days before.  However, I took a wrong fork in the trail and ended up going on a completely different trail.  It was beautiful. Much of the hike was by a creek which was awesome.  I crossed over about three log bridges before starting a steeper climb.  I had decided to hike until 4:00 p.m. so I would be back by the time my other daughter Kim and her two children arrived.  What I didn't realize was that my watch was an hour slower than the original time.  So when I turned around to go back down the mountain it was 5:00 p.m instead of 4:00 p.m.  I figured it would take me about an hour to get down, which it did.  I arrived back at camp just a Kim and her children got there.  Michelle and Brad were starting to get worried about me.  Even if they would have started to look for me, they wouldn't have been able to find me, as I was on a different trail.

When hiking, it is imperative to let someone know exactly what trail you will be on, and when to expect you back.
This was my first hike in the mountain since we returned to Utah after being in Missouri for five years.  Richard and I used to hike in the summer every Friday Night after work.  I loved it.  Sometimes we would hike with friends, other times we hiked together, but I had never hiked alone before, so this was a new experience for me.  I found that I really enjoyed hiking, it fees  my soul. It gives me time for reflection, peace and solitude. 
I know I pushed "my limits" physically, as I returned to camp exhausted but exhilarated.  Then being able to sit around the campfire, breathing in that fresh mountain air, with several members of my family was such a joy.  I loved watching the two little ones roast their marshmallows as Uncle Brad showed them how to roast their marshmallows just perfectly (without burning them)  for their smores, was delightful. 
Michelle had prepared the food for the picnic with all the cut up fruit, chip, hot dog, etc.  It tasted delicious.  She and Brad have this camping and eating outside to a science.  You should have seen their car, loaded with every thing needed to make the experience for all of us enjoyable.
It was a memory building day, and I thank Michelle and Brad for inviting us to go with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment