Sunday, August 19, 2012

If Not Me Then Who? If Not Now Then When?

Monday, April 23, 2012

I was reading an article the other day and this question caught my attention "If not me then who? If not now, then when?"  I have thought about that question and how it applies to my life. I think it can apply to the little things we do on a daily basis, like cleaning the house, doing the dishes, visiting the sick, listening to friend or family member, or reading a book to a child.  It can also apply to the bigger things as well like going back to work after a five years sabbatical, changing a career, going back to school to finish a degree, getting fit, and enjoying a more healthy lifestyle or changing a habit. There are many ways that we can effect change in our lives.  

As with everything worthwhile in life this question of change requires effort and action.  Change in our lives is inevitable. We just need to take charge and do the work to make the change needed.  Years ago I was taking an oil painting class and I had just completed a painting which was an autumn scene.  I took the painting home, and realized I didn't like it. The following week, I took the painting back to class and told my teacher that I didn't like the painting.  She said "well, if you don't like it, change it."  I said "I can do that?  She said "of course you can." I asked "how"?  She said "you have always loved winter scenes, so snow on it" which is exactly what I did.  I went to work, adding snow all over the autumn scene, and it has been one of my favorite painting ever since.  I have it hanging in my bedroom, and every time I look at it, I am reminded of this statement " if you don't like it, change it".  That painting to me represents "change" every time I look at it.

Change is not easy,  it takes believing in yourself and faith to make positive changes.  Sometimes it feels like  walking from the light into darkness or from the known to the unknown, which in fact we are. My niece posted this statement on facebook today which goes along with what I have been thinking. "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Martin Luther King Jr.
We need to Believe in Change, not just for ourselves but for others too. 

As we learn to recognize options and opportunities,and  if it feels right then,  "go for it"!  Trust yourself knowing that if it doesn't work out, you can change it. 

We all need to pursue our dreams and grow from our experiences and asked ourselves this question occasionally  "If not me, then who? If not now, then when?"

No comments:

Post a Comment